Thursday, August 4, 2011

Prepping the HP Hard Drive for Ubuntu Installation

If all else fails


You can only have a maximum of 4 primary partitions on a hard drive. When I got my laptop, it was already formatted into 4 occupied partitions. Why in the world would HP waste a primary partition with 100 MBs of stuff that could easily be put somewhere else?

Anyway. The first thing I had to do was delete one of the partitions so that I could use it for Linux. I had a partition called “HP Tools.” I guess this partition is used for HP’s QuickWeb. This feature is for booting up quickly straight into the internet without loading up Windows. Personally, I would never use this feature, so removing this partition wasn’t a problem. In fact, I’m not even 100% sure this partition actually is for HP tools. All I know is I’ve never used QuickWeb and I’ve never had any problems with this partition missing.

I actually have a friend with the same laptop, (except for the graphics card.) He deleted his recovery partition to install Pinguy. I thought this was pretty reckless, but he has recovery CDs to use in case his computer needs a wipe.

To prep the hard drive for install, I first ran a live CD of Ubuntu, opened up GParted, and deleted HP Tools. Next I resized the Primary Windows partition, making it a bit smaller, leaving myself some unallocated space to put Ubuntu in. (I only left about 20 gigs for Ubuntu)

Then I could install Ubuntu in the unallocated space.

Pithy instructions:

  1. Open Ubuntu using a live CD
  2. Open up GParted
  3. Delete HP Tools partition
  4. Shrink Windows partition
  5. Install Ubuntu in the remaining unallocated space.

No comments:

Post a Comment