Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Returning to Linux

I really like Linux. I especially like Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu on and off for the past years... since 2007. Every time I switch to Linux, there are always a plethora of problems to be worked out. Even though I enjoy solving those problems, inevitably there arises one or two insufferable problems that simply cannot be solved. Usually it has to do with drivers that do not exist but sometimes has to do with functionality that doesn’t exist, or no suitable replacement applications that I had come to rely on in Windows.

You see, me and Linux is a lot like a really bad relationship. It’s like I’m in love with a girl who is really nothing more than a player. I stick around for a while, doing everything for her… but I can only temporarily tolerate her personal issues. And… then I leave her. But after a short while I begin to miss the good times we had together. I forget the turmoil she put me through and we get back together, and thus the pattern continues. What is so appealing that keeps me coming back?
A lot of it has to do with the alternative. I’m all about non-conformity and sticking it to the man. “Screw you Microsoft” I say. “I don’t need your pretentious products.” I like to be different. I like to be unique.

Here are just a few pros and cons of Ubuntu, in order of importance.
1. Wobbly windows

2. The Desktop Cube (Or Cylinder)

3. Really fast and easy on resources


Cons:
1. Nothing works. (Maybe I’m just unlucky.)

Here are the specs of my laptop:
HP Pavilion dm4t.
Intel i5 M 460 CPU @ 2.53GHz
4 gigs RAM
Dual/hybrid graphics of ATI/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and Intel HD graphics
500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive
Webcam, fingerprint reader, DVD RW drive

Continue Reading: Prepping the Hard Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment